Re: [OPSAWG] WG adoption poll for draft-wkumari-opsawg-sdi-04

Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com> Mon, 01 July 2019 07:52 UTC

From: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>
To: Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net>
CC: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>, "opsawg@ietf.org" <opsawg@ietf.org>, OpsAWG Chairs <opsawg-chairs@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2019 07:47:03 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.134.31.203]
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] WG adoption poll for draft-wkumari-opsawg-sdi-04

-----邮件原件-----
发件人: Warren Kumari [mailto:warren@kumari.net]
发送时间: 2019年6月24日 16:37
收件人: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>
抄送: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>; opsawg@ietf.org; OpsAWG Chairs <opsawg-chairs@ietf.org>

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 2:51 AM Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com> wrote:

> Interesting, try to understand the key difference between device enroll in secure environment and device enroll in in secure environment?

I'm unsure what you are asking; I'm guessing perhaps you meant "in an insecure environment"?
This completely depends on what you mean by "insecure", but "probably". As always, once the device has been configured, if an attacker has physical access to the device, they can probably do things like unsolder the flash / nvram and read the config off that -- but that has nothing to do with this technology, it is an existing issue.

If you use this mechanism to initially configure the device, and the network is compromised, and the attacker knows the serial number / UUID of the device, and the attacker can provide DHCP, the attacker
*could* make the device download and install a config file --- this largely means that the attacker could (temporarily) steal the device - but threat seems a: unrealistic and b: the threat is minor / you have much larger issues :-)

[Qin]: Thanks Warren for clarification , would you mind clarifying further a little bit difference between SZTP and SDI? E.g., control of initial configuration on owner of
the device vs control of initial configuration on the manufacturer? Security level, complexity, weakness, strength etc.

> Does the mechanism proposed in this draft work for the device behind the firewall or NAT?

Yes -- the device *only* needs to be able to download the (encrypted) config file, it doesn't need to contact anything else, nor does anything need reach the device.
This means that it can be run behind a NAT, firewall, or a even a network which is completely disconnected from the Internet.

--
I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad idea in the first place.
This is like putting rabid weasels in your pants, and later expressing regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair of pants.