Re: [OPSAWG] [Idr] FW: WG LC for draft-ietf-opsawg-ipfix-bgp-community

Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org> Sun, 11 February 2018 15:45 UTC

Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2018 10:50:57 -0500
From: Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org>
To: "Dongjie (Jimmy)" <jie.dong@huawei.com>, opsawg@ietf.org
Cc: "idr@ietf.org" <idr@ietf.org>, "idr-chairs@ietf.org" <idr-chairs@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] [Idr] FW: WG LC for draft-ietf-opsawg-ipfix-bgp-community

Authors,

Thanks for accommodating my prior comments on this draft.

I have one final issue to raise with the draft.  The information elements
for extended community and large community by nature of their size are of
type octetArray.  The draft correctly notes the expected size of each of
these elements; 8 and 12 respectively.

The draft provides no guidance for when each of these elements is NOT of the
expected size.

My recommendation is a small paragraph to the Operational Considerations
section:
"In the event that the bgpExtendedCommunity or bgpLargeCommunity Elements
are not of their expected sizes (8 and 12 octets, respectively), the
receiver SHOULD ignore them."

I'm not savvy with the general language wrapped around receiver procedure
for IPFIX these days, so a bit of additional verbiage might be expected for
appropriate draft boilerplate.  However, this is intended to protect
implementations using BGP logic from calling their parsing routines with
invalid lengths.

-- Jeff