Re: [OPSAWG] Negotiation replacing configuration

Kees-Jan Hermans <hermans@fox-it.com> Wed, 05 February 2014 09:58 UTC

From: Kees-Jan Hermans <hermans@fox-it.com>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 10:58:12 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US, nl-NL
Cc: "opsawg@ietf.org" <opsawg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] Negotiation replacing configuration

My - strictly personal - take (but I’m completely derailing the discussion here) would be to extend ICMP and create a path MTU message equivalent for throughput. Something with an optional solicitation message (could be ICMP ping with special code), and a reply along the lines of an ICMP  type 3, code 4 (‘packet too big’) message. When TCP on a host, or a router in general, thinks that things are going too slow, he’ll send one of those. They could also be sent back unsolicited in the way that packet too big messages are usually sent. The added benefit would be that routers along the path benefit from the information, and re-think their routes.

Sincerely,

KJ