Subject: [OPSAWG] Reverse traceroute - take 2 (version 01)

From: Rolf Winter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 16:45:10 +0100

Dear OPS folks,

we have updated our work on reverse traceroute, which we are working on 
in int area. Reverse traceroute is a tool and protocol extensions to 
give you information about the return path, i.e. the bits of the path 
that regular traceroute is not showing you. We have presented it to the 
operator community at DENOG14 with good support. You can find the 
protocol extensions here:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-heiwin-intarea-reverse-traceroute-01

The implementation has progressed, which now fully supports both v4 and v6.

If you only want to experiment with the client, a few public server 
instances can be found here:

https://github.com/HSAnet/reverse-traceroute/blob/main/ENDPOINTS

If you want to host a server yourself and make is publicly available 
talk to us. Both server and client code can be found here:

https://github.com/hsanet/reverse-traceroute

All information regarding reverse traceroute is collected here, 
including the video on it, given at DENOG14:

https://net.hs-augsburg.de/en/project/reverse-traceroute/

Happy to receive comments, feedback and suggestions.

Best,

Rolf