[OPSAWG] Zaheduzzaman Sarker's Discuss on draft-ietf-opsawg-l3sm-l3nm-11: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Zaheduzzaman Sarker via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 22 September 2021 08:16 UTC

From: Zaheduzzaman Sarker via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-opsawg-l3sm-l3nm@ietf.org, opsawg-chairs@ietf.org, opsawg@ietf.org, adrian@olddog.co.uk, adrian@olddog.co.uk
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 01:16:15 -0700
Subject: [OPSAWG] Zaheduzzaman Sarker's Discuss on draft-ietf-opsawg-l3sm-l3nm-11: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Zaheduzzaman Sarker has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-opsawg-l3sm-l3nm-11: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/blog/handling-iesg-ballot-positions/

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-l3sm-l3nm/

DISCUSS:

This specification refers to ietf-opsawg-vpn-common for qos related matching,
hence I am raising similar discussion as I had for ietf-opsawg-vpn-common (see
here https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-vpn-common/).

This specification specifies qos classification based on L4 criteria and
describes the procedure for TCP and UDP. It is possible that new L4 protocols
(for example QUIC) use UDP as substrate hence can create ambiguity based of the
procedure described in the specification.

This specification should consider such potential substrate usage of L4
protocols (specially UDP) and hint on the potential augmentations (there might
be several ways to do that) or scope it down to not support such cases.

COMMENT:

Thanks to the authors for their efforts in the specification.

Additional comment(s)-

* I think if would be good if this specification also discusses the implication
of wrong classification (e.g. for qos) based on the model specified here (no
particular suggestion from me where but may be in security considerations).