Re: [OPSAWG] I-D Action: draft-wu-model-driven-management-virtualization-04.txt

Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com> Fri, 21 June 2019 03:47 UTC

From: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>
To: Tianran Zhou <zhoutianran@huawei.com>, "opsawg@ietf.org" <opsawg@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019 03:46:46 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.134.31.203]
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] I-D Action: draft-wu-model-driven-management-virtualization-04.txt

Hi, Tianran:
-----邮件原件-----
发件人: Tianran Zhou
发送时间: 2019年6月21日 11:11
收件人: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>; opsawg@ietf.org

Hi Qin and the authors,

I think this is a valuable work as a comprehensive thinking on the model driven work in IETF.
I am very interested on the architecture, the classification, the mapping methodology, etc.

Some points may be useful:
1. When I am looking at the " Figure 1: An overview of IETF YANG Modules", I think it's better not to list the specific models in "Network Service Models". Or you can use for example. Otherwise people may think those are the only considered service models in IETF.
[Qin]: Fair point, I intend to use them as example modules and will make this clear in the figure 1, e.g., add "etc" for each category of models.

2. While I think it's really good to investigate "all" the current models in IETF, you may not need to list them in the main content. You can keep the classification, the introduction to each category, the inter-connectivity description. But I suggest to move the "document:introduction" to the appendix. As you mentioned, the document identifies a comprehensive list of modules to exemplify the proposed approach, but the document does not claim to be exhaustive. The list may keep exploding and make the document not stable.

[Qin]: The rationale behind is first list what model does IETF have on the table and then discuss how these models are put together, move model introductions to appendix may make people feel disconnected, in my personal view. Yes, we have statement to say we are not intending to enumerate all IETF defined YANG models. We can add a few text in each section title to say the models listed here are just examples. One example such section title could be:
"2.1.1.  Network Service Models: Definition and Samples".
Does this address your concern?

More comments will come later.

Cheers,
Tianran