Re: [OPSAWG] [GROW] WG LC for draft-ietf-opsawg-ipfix-bgp-community

Paolo Lucente <paolo@ntt.net> Wed, 21 February 2018 16:38 UTC

From: Paolo Lucente <paolo@ntt.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 17:37:59 +0100
Cc: "grow@ietf.org" <grow@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-opsawg-ipfix-bgp-community.all@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-opsawg-ipfix-bgp-community.all@ietf.org>, opsawg <opsawg@ietf.org>
To: Tianran Zhou <zhoutianran@huawei.com>
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] [GROW] WG LC for draft-ietf-opsawg-ipfix-bgp-community

Hi,

With the hat of the developer of a open-source / free IPFIX collector (*, **), I would like to express two opposite concerns with regards to this draft - loosely related to the very details of the draft itself.

One concern is that this looks a very isolated effort, ie. why communities and not as-path? I remember the story of this draft, it comes from field needs and that is in short the answer to the cherry-picking.

The second concern, the one going the opposite direction than the previous one, is that in future it could be tempting for somebody to repeat the story of this draft and add support for as-paths and/or other BGP attributes in IPFIX: here i see a mix-up among the original intent to report on data plane information with the reporting on control-plane (BGP) information: in other words, is (potentially) encapsulating (all) BGP attributes for every sampled packet/flow a valid idea? For example, is not BGP/BMP peering at the IPFIX collector itself much more efficient instead of moving control-plane info over and over again? At this propo, the motivation that roughly 20 years ago it was decided to make source and destination ASNs part of NetFlow v5 (and few years later BGP next-hop was added as part of NetFlow v9) is a bit weak, IMO; maybe there is more to it, and i’d be happy to hear about it.

On the details of the draft itself instead, i reckon the effort to support Extended and Large communities (comment from Ignas Bagdonas last year); i also followed the discussion with PJ Aitken about segmentation/fragmentation of potentially long communities list and i seem to reckon there is no good (simple, straightforward) solution to address that.

Paolo

(*) http://www.pmacct.net/
(**) https://github.com/pmacct/pmacct