Re: [OPSEC] Iotdir early review of draft-ietf-opsec-v6-21

Merike Kaeo <merike@doubleshotsecurity.com> Thu, 05 December 2019 19:13 UTC

From: Merike Kaeo <merike@doubleshotsecurity.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2019 11:13:26 -0800
Cc: opsec@ietf.org
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>, "Eric Vyncke (evyncke)" <evyncke@cisco.com>, KK Chittimaneni <kk.chittimaneni@gmail.com>, Enno Rey <erey@ernw.de>
Subject: Re: [OPSEC] Iotdir early review of draft-ietf-opsec-v6-21

Hello Ted.

Very much appreciate the thorough review of the document.  All 4 authors agree with most of your comments which will be incorporated
in the next revision (also includes the discussion between yourself, Gyan and Suresh re DHCPv6).  For the comment re  section 2.3.2 and
RAs,  can you point us to the relevant specifications for the TBR (Threat Boarder Route) so that we can come up with a potential addition that discusses the (non-) applicability of RA for certain scenarios?

For 3 comments the authors want to preserve the existing language for reasons stated below.

2.1.1 on ULA: The very first draft had some specific language on ULA use and the topic of ULAs has been a major contention area to get to working group last call.  Some individuals felt for years that the discussion on ULA should be to state that they are not required and not recommended while others wanted to be more explicit on recommended language *if* ULAs are used.  The current language on ULAs reflects working group rough consensus after many iterations of language.  Te authors would recommend that the language not be changed at this point.

2.1.7 re /64s.  The section references rfc8273 and the working group felt that re-iterating even in more detail that work, which provides the added context, was not necessary in the document itself

Last comment on Isolation of Networks -  While we did not discuss varying network configurations, usually more explicit details are provided in the rfcs we reference.  rfc8273 referenced in Section 2.1.7 and rfc7721 referenced in section 2.1.8 are some examples.

- merike