Re: [OPSEC] WGLC for draft-ietf-opsec-ipv6-eh-filtering-03

"C. M. Heard" <heard@pobox.com> Fri, 06 October 2017 04:02 UTC

From: "C. M. Heard" <heard@pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2017 21:01:56 -0700
To: Ron Bonica <rbonica@juniper.net>
Cc: OPSEC <opsec@ietf.org>, Joe Touch <touch@strayalpha.com>, Bob Hinden <bob.hinden@gmail.com>, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [OPSEC] WGLC for draft-ietf-opsec-ipv6-eh-filtering-03

Hello Ron,

I think that the direction you propose will make this a much better
document. Modulo details it would certainly address my concerns.

I do however have come comments to make about router self-protection. RFC
6192 is all about a router filtering traffic addressed to itself, i.e.,
what it should process in its role as a host. A very restrictive "white
list" policy ( as outlined in RC 6192) is quite in order there. If there is
no need or use for extension headers for traffic destined to the control
plane, a very restrictive policy of dropping all packets addressed to the
control place hat have extension headers may indeed be in order.

It's a very different story, I think, for what a router does to protect
itself in its role as forwarding device.  There, if it complies with RFC
8200, the Hop-by-Hop Options header is the only one that can hurt it, if it
is able to forward at line rate at all. The choice boils down to whether to
process all, some, or no packets with Hop-by-Hop options. I think that we
need to loudly broadcast that ignoring all HbH Options headers is a
legitimate policy for this purpose, but dropping all packets with HbH
Options is not. If we can sell this to the world, it may be possible to
actually use the HbH options header, and get rid of abominations such as
the CONEX Destination Option.

The way you characterize the proposed second section sounds right on the
money to me.

I support your proposed way forward. Thank you.

Mike Heard