Re: opstat model questions

Elliot Schwartz <elliot@ghost.uunet.ca> Mon, 01 May 1995 23:14 UTC

Date: Mon, 01 May 1995 19:12:19 -0400
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Elliot Schwartz <elliot@ghost.uunet.ca>
To: oswg-l@wugate.wustl.edu
Subject: Re: opstat model questions

>OK, hypothetical example: I have a FDDI ring as a backbone which is
>shared between support organizations and we need to exchange
>statistics. Now I split my half off and make it ATM while connecting
>to their FDDI half through a router. I swap all the FDDI cards in my
>routers to ATM cards and have effectively created a new backbone which
>supersedes the old backbone.
>
>Question: Does the linkname for the routers the stay the same?

I'm not sure I understand your scenario fully, but the answer is it's
up to you. You are the person who is producing the statistics,
therefore if you feel that it would be statistically meaningful to
record the data under the same name, go for it. If your link name is
"backbone-fddi", you might want to consider changing it since the name
is not accurate. If the link name is called "backbone", it is probably
appropriate to continue collecting statistics under that name even
after you've substituted ATM for FDDI.

I don't think that this is something that needs to be discussed in the
working group: these kinds of suggestions are probably best included
as documentation for server implementations. Speaking of actually
implementing things, I'd be interested on knowing who is working on
what kinds of servers and clients and what the status of them is.
Henry mentioned (in Danvers) that he had a server sort-of working, and
a simple client that used gnuplot, but I haven't heard anything else
about what people are working on...

elliot