Re: your mail

Henry Clark <hclark@nic.near.net> Wed, 29 March 1995 15:44 UTC

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 10:42:03 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Henry Clark <hclark@nic.near.net>
To: oswg-l@wugate.wustl.edu
Subject: Re: your mail

> Could someone maybe give
> me a brief overview of the state of affairs? At what state is this
> group currently, what's the level of participation, and what are the
> documents that are being worked on? I have read 1404 and seen
> references to the SNMP guides, but if someone could ellaborate, it'd
> be appreciated.

Well, there's three projects being worked on currently:

1)  revision of RFC1404.

    this is mainly to remove typos and cleanup the text, but the
    main change is in the BNF, which had some problems, and has been
    made more general.  i'd think we should be able to also send this
    one down the rfc path before stockholm.

2)  client-server

    the ultra-latest draft is sitting on my pc, which is in (ummm)
    transitional storage (yeah, that's it).  once it's more readily
    available, it will get sent to the i-d folks, and then onto the
    rfc folks, assuming no more changes, for an info rfc.  this i-d
    specifies a common protocol between a server with some type of
    stats database and a remote client which allows the client to
    suck data in all sorts of ways.  the changes between the draft
    on the i-d server and the one on my pc are pretty minor, and have
    been on the list.

3)  snmp user's guide

    essentially this is an effort to describe what to query and how
    to query, giving some common sense guidelines such as don't query
    MTU every 30 seconds.  this will also incorporate, i'd suspect,
    vendor-specific stuff (brand "c", among others, comes to mind here)
    and hints about MIB stuff there, again from an operational point of view.

Other stuff will sometimes get included on the agenda from time-to-time,
such as the stuff from Nevil this time.

henry