NSFNET backbone FTP measurement paper available

Mike Schwartz <schwartz@latour.cs.colorado.edu> Sat, 03 April 1993 07:01 UTC

Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1993 21:59:54 -0700
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Mike Schwartz <schwartz@latour.cs.colorado.edu>
To: FTP_Caching_Paper_List@latour.cs.colorado.edu
Subject: NSFNET backbone FTP measurement paper available

The following paper is available by anonymous FTP from
ftp.cs.colorado.edu in the directory
pub/cs/techreports/schwartz/PostScript/FTP.Caching:

        P. B. Danzig, R. S. Hall and M. F. Schwartz.  A Case for
        Caching File Objects Inside Internetworks.  Technical Report
        CU-CS-642-93, Department of Computer Science, University of
        Colorado, Boulder, Colorado, March 1993.

Abstract:

        This paper presents evidence that several, judiciously placed file
        caches could reduce the volume of traffic on the NSFNET backbone by
        21%.  In addition, if FTP client and server software automatically
        compressed data, this savings could increase to 27%.  We believe that
        a hierarchical architecture of whole file caches, modeled after the
        existing name server's caching architecture, could become a valuable
        part of any internet.

        We derived these conclusions by performing trace driven simulations of
        various file caching architectures, cache sizes, and replacement
        policies.  We collected the traces of file transfer traffic employed
        in our simulations on a network that connects the NSFNET backbone to a
        large, regional network.  This particular regional network is
        responsible for about 5 to 6% of NSFNET traffic.

        While this paper's analysis and discussion focus on caching for FTP
        file transfer, the proposed caching architecture applies to caching
        objects from other internetwork services.