Re: X.500, Naming and the Internet

Christian Huitema <Christian.Huitema@sophia.inria.fr> Tue, 04 February 1992 09:47 UTC

To: yeongw@psi.com
Cc: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk, wpp-camayocs@nisc.psi.net
Subject: Re: X.500, Naming and the Internet
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1992 09:08:17 +0000
From: Christian Huitema <Christian.Huitema@sophia.inria.fr>

Wengyik,

I dont quite follow you with your discussion on "civil names". I really dont
see why directory names have to be civil names. Directory names are keys in
the directory information tree, and that is all. They dont have to be exact
copy of civil registries, but they have to be convenient and efficient keys.

>You're not suggesting we use OIDs in RDNs are you?

OIDs are probably the most convenient ways to express an RDN and avoid to
mix it up with civil registration, trade mark claims and the like. I was
actually not thinking of using the OID as RDN, but rather the OID
components, i.e. something like:

	<DN: INT=1; INT=3; INT=250; INT=2; CN=Christian Huitema;>

At least, that would be a short key. Maybe we should start designing a quick
"look-up" protocol that would use plain OID keys and parallel the X.500
hierarchy; that would be interesting. We could even provide OID names as
aliases or explanation for an user friendly form...

Christian Huitema