interest in x.500 implementations

ALPERT@rchvmv.vnet.ibm.com Wed, 26 May 1993 17:39 UTC

Date: Wed, 26 May 1993 10:04:54 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: ALPERT@rchvmv.vnet.ibm.com
To: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Subject: interest in x.500 implementations

hello: just a practical query.  We here in abs (application business
systems of IBM or otherwise known as as/400 land) debate which is the
best distributed and 'open' directory structure to implement on our
platform.

It appears very confusing, as some companies openly tout their
X.400 capabilities, like HP OpenMail or Novell, but then implement a
'proprietary' directory product that is replicatable and distributable
but X.500 'like' but not X.500????.  Why not??

Then, when I think well DCE has GDS and that may really help X.500 take
off and solve some problems, they semi decommit and push CDS or now
DNS, complicating matters worse.

What are your thoughts in this area?  Where do CDS and DNS fail?  How
well received and x.500 like is Novell's or Banyan's reknowned directory
support?

Thanks

G. Alpert
ABS Advanced Systems.