Re: DNS under o=Internet

Sylvain Langlois <sylvain@cli53an.edf.fr> Thu, 06 February 1992 16:08 UTC

To: yeongw@psi.com
Cc: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Subject: Re: DNS under o=Internet
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1992 09:34:29 +0000
From: Sylvain Langlois <sylvain@cli53an.edf.fr>

> Given this, as long as Directory operators agree to list the Internet,
> they have to accept the Internet registration authority. In other words
> I'm arguing that the IANA's (or whatever) authority to register
> Internet-centric things is derived not from a delegation from ISO,
> but from its recognition as the registration authority for the Internet
> by the Internet community.

I totally agree. The main advantage of  this, is, as  usual, "make the
whole thing work first!". I am not sure this is the way ISO bodies see
it but...

> This is the same concept as the recognition of the civil naming
> authorities. I don't think ISO ever delegated the U.S. Government
> the right to be the registration authority for the civil infrastructure
> in the U.S. (that right is derived from sovereignity) for example :-).
ISO is in some places where nobody expects to find it :-)

Sylvain

Sylvain Langlois		  "Dogmatic attachement to the supposed merits
(sylvain@cli53an.edf.fr)	   of a particular structure hinders the searc
				   of an appropriate structure" (Robert Fripp)