using x.500 to store routing information

rjacob@wnyosi9.nctsw.navy.mil Wed, 03 March 1993 19:33 UTC

Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1993 13:32:11 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: rjacob@wnyosi9.nctsw.navy.mil
To: osi-ds <osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
Subject: using x.500 to store routing information

	From rjacob Tue Mar  2 08:56 EST 1993
	>From rjacob Tue Mar  2 08:55:30 1993
	Date: Tue, 2 Mar 93 08:55:30 EST
	From: rjacob
	Full-Name: raymond a. jacob
	To: @wnyosi7:osi-ds-request@cs.ucl.ac.uk
	Subject: routing and x.500
	Cc: rjacob

	I would like to know why can't routing information be stored in a DSA
	and a router using DAP access information regarding services, maybe
	encryption keys...?
	It seems to me that the router could use the dsa as a page(link swapper
	for static routes) and use the information about users or services on
	a Lan to make routing decisions.

	Please refer me to the proper standard.

	Note Bene: I am not suggesting that the DSA be used to hold dynamic
	information i.e. link states, routes learned through bgp or egp.
	I am suggesting, that users may want their data encoded with rsa
	or dsa before sending out over WAN. Maybe one day routers will be
	fast enough parse an ASN.1 and accept or reject vt,ftam, or x.400
	connections.As well as, IPX, Vines IP, or TCP/IP, or TPO/CONS...
	information on end systems regarding private keys and services is
	pretty static and it makes sense to me that the DSA should store
	this information.

	If you disagree please let me know of an alternative scheme and
	a reason why.

	thank you
	raymond jacob