Re: X.500, Naming and the Internet

Christian Huitema <Christian.Huitema@sophia.inria.fr> Tue, 04 February 1992 16:52 UTC

To: osi-ds <osi-ds@cicb.fr>
Cc: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk, wpp-camayocs@nisc.psi.net
Subject: Re: X.500, Naming and the Internet
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1992 17:12:29 +0000
From: Christian Huitema <Christian.Huitema@sophia.inria.fr>

>True, even with oids as DNs, the Directory can fulfill its mapping function
>since the 'search' operation is not limited to examining distinguished
>attributes only. However 'search' is not the only legal operation
>allowed in the Directory. A significant use of the Directory today
>is the browsing of the data in there.

What about "search for ObjectClass=Organisation, return Organisation-Name"?
Looks like "list" is a subset of search...

>> 	<DN: INT=1; INT=3; INT=250; INT=2; CN=Christian Huitema;>
>
>What can I say? Aaaarrrrgggghh!! :-)
>
>Seriously though, I beg you reconsider. By creating ugly keys you
>are making orphans out of all those people that like to browse through
>the Directory.

Ok, I admit this is extreme in the directory context -- although it is not
in an "OID directory" world. And presented in the wrong order too. But, then:
	<DN= CN=Christian Huitema; O=INRIA; O=FNET; O=Internet>
looks perfectly reasonable... It denotes a set of (hypothetical) "naming
contracts" between the Internet society and FNET, then between INRIA and
FNET. Or whoever plays that role...

Christian Huitema