Re: DNS on CLNP RRs

Thomas Johannsen <thomas@aic.co.jp> Mon, 06 July 1992 04:45 UTC

Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1992 13:08:18 -0000
From: Thomas Johannsen <thomas@aic.co.jp>
To: G.Michaelson@cc.uq.oz.au
Subject: Re: DNS on CLNP RRs
Cc: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk

> These people are representing OSI network layer address info and
> mapping into DNS hostnames, which I think requires to be added to the
> set of objects represented in X.500, and preferably mastered there.
>
> I think you're talking about the generalized model for adding DNS info into
> the X.500 DIT. This isn't exactly the same thing!
>
> -George

That's right, I didn't talk about OSI address info. But I think I'm coming
from the other end to that question: Where and how do you store this kind
of information in the DIT.

RFC 1279 proposes a DNS tree which has pointers to the organizational tree
(i.e. c/o/ou/cn). Actually the latter should be the place to hold infos
about hosts or nodes or whatever you'd like to call them. We have proposed
to set up a second "index tree" for IP numbers. From there again you'll
find pointers to objects within an organization.

Node objects have attributes holding values for IP, domain name etc.
I think the same scheme can be used for other address information. We
would have one entry per host with all applications, addresses and other
properties attached and several index mechanisms to come from addresses
(which, unfortunately, do not fall into this c/o/ou tree) to the node.

Thomas