Re: Using X.500 to determine presentationAddresses

Peter Yee <yee@atlas.arc.nasa.gov> Fri, 07 May 1993 10:01 UTC

To: Edwards Reed <Ed.Reed@cinops.xerox.com>
cc: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Using X.500 to determine presentationAddresses
Date: Thu, 06 May 1993 14:05:50 -0700
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Peter Yee <yee@atlas.arc.nasa.gov>

>Is your question directed principally at the location of such information
>in a well organized DIT, or at something else?  Have you found
>DASE adequate, otherwise, or are other semantics required?

The discussion came up, principally, around where to place in the information
in a well-organized DIT.  DASE is in adequate since it would require that our
host information be buried in amongst our user information and lead to poor
searching performance for both.

>I'd like to begin looking at placing my global, master NIS maps
>into the DIT - services, rpc, groups, etc... - with the plan
>to extract them at local sites for inclusion with local entries
>ala DCE.  Is that rational?

Not aware of the DCE plan.  We were thinking of dynamic lookups (talk about
a need for fast performance...).

>Most important to me are such matters as User MTA assignments for
>mail routing, etc, but those topics are under discussion in the
>mhsds working group.

Right.  At this point, I would like to be able to use the directory to find
the presentation address for, say, the filestore on atlas.arc.nasa.gov (the
hosts DNS name).  And for all the other systems I have here.  Naming, of
course, strongly impacts how I place things in the DIT and what strategies are
required to retrieve it.

>Perhaps we could start with a list of things to go into the
>directory, and consider the database design from the requirements...

I'd be interested to hear more on the topic.

Thanks for your reply!
							-Peter