Re: Synchronization of directories?

Rik Drummond <drummond@onramp.net> Wed, 14 August 1996 02:03 UTC

Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 11:54:43 -0500
To: Haran Shivkumar <shivkuma@vptt.ch>, osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Sender: ietf-archive-request@ietf.org
From: Rik Drummond <drummond@onramp.net>
Subject: Re: Synchronization of directories?
Cc: Jyri Tahtinen <jyri.tahtinen@hpy.fi>

Hitachi, CDS, Worldtalk all have directory sync. products that are based on
standards -- when they exist. Other responses have identified other
vendors.

Checking their web sites might be appropriate.

            www.hitachi.com
            www.cdc.com (yes cdc)
            www.worldtalk.com

Hope that helps....later..Rik

At 5:57 AM 8/13/96, Haran Shivkumar wrote:
>Hello Jyri,
>
>Jyri Tahtinen wrote:
>>
>> Dear OSI-DS participants!
>>
>> I would like to know what kind of solutions are available for directory
>> synchronization?
>>
>> I am looking for a solution for syncronization of X.500 and proprietary
>> directory services. Are there any tools available for converting
>> proprietary updates to X.500(1993) DISP protocol? Or some other kind of
>> solutions?
>>
>> What is the state of XAPIA today? Is it in use? What about DISP?
>> Has LDAP any solutions for easy synchronization?
>>
>> All information and pointers to web resources are welcome!
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>         Jyri Tahtinen
>> --
>Various vendors have their own synchronisation products. ISOCOR has
>the ISOGATE product which is also being used by NCR. (www.isocor.com
>and www.ncr.com). You can just ask them whether they are general
>enough.
>
>SNI has its own synchroniser product (www.sni.de), and Digital has
>performs syncrhonisation in its products, but I do not know
>whether it is part of the product or can be separable.
>
>In most cases, synchronisation means uploading or downloading
>between a standard product format to the X.500 DIB format.
>So, I am not sure how easily their synchronisation products can
>be adapted for a very general use. Since ISOGATE is being used
>by NCR, it looks to be adaptable (they say that they have two
>such products - one for non-SQL products and the other for
>SQL related products - I think). Check up their home page
>for more info.
>
>Regards,
>
>Shiv
>> --------------------------------  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>>  J y r i   T รค h t i n e n        Project Manager, M.Sc.
>>
>>  Helsinki Telephone Company Ltd.  Telephone    +358 0 606 4546
>>  Integrated Services Development  Mobile phone +358 50 5666599
>>  Ratavartijankatu 3 B             Fax          +358 0 606 3222
>>  P.O.Box 133                      E-mail       jyri.tahtinen@hpy.fi
>>  FIN-00521 HELSINKI
>> --------------------------------  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
>--
>Zero Defects, n.:
>        The result of shutting down a production line or its Swiss !
>
>Mr. Haran Shivkumar             P_T T_          Research & Development, FE 324,
>
>Phone : +41+31-338-1926         |_   _|         Swiss Telecom PTT,
>Headquarters,
>
>Fax   : +41+31-338-9903           |_|           Ostermundigenstrasse 93,
>
>Email : shivkuma@vptt.ch        SWISS TELECOM   CH-3000 Bern 29, Switzerland.

|         Rik Drummond - The Drummond Group          |
|   5008 Brentwood Ct., Ft. Worth, TX 76132   USA    |
|      Voice: 817 294 7339    Fax: 817 294 7950      |