Re: DRAFT Agenda for BOF on WAIS and Directory Integration

Steve Hardcastle-Kille <S.Kille@cs.ucl.ac.uk> Wed, 11 March 1992 14:00 UTC

To: Edward Vielmetti <emv@msen.com>
cc: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk, wais-talk@quake.think.com
Subject: Re: DRAFT Agenda for BOF on WAIS and Directory Integration
Phone: +44-71-380-7294
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1992 13:41:27 +0000
From: Steve Hardcastle-Kille <S.Kille@cs.ucl.ac.uk>

 >From:  Edward Vielmetti <emv@com.msen>
 >To:    Steve Hardcastle-Kille <S.Kille@uk.ac.ucl.cs>
 >Subject: Re: DRAFT Agenda for BOF on WAIS and Directory Integration
 >Date:  Mon, 09 Mar 92 19:36:06 -0500

 >Steve,
 >
 >sounds like a good presentation, sorry I won't be there.

Sorry that you can't make it.

 >You alluded earlier to a lighter weight protocol to be used as an interface
 >to the directory.  I'm not keen on running a full OSI stack on a little
 >machine, but if there's some reasonable code which could be used to
 >get at OSI directories -- a la the gopher interface to WAIS -- I'm
 >sure I could make good use of it.

The OSI-DS group identified this as a need.  There are two existing
protocols, DIXIE and DAS, both of which are specified in RFCs.   These
are informational and described existing practice.

The OSI-DS group is looking at this need, and there are two proposals
on the table for IETF standardisation:
  LDBP - the lightweight directory browsing protocl (self explanatory)
  SOS - the simple osi stack - a lighwieght ROS mapping

THings will be clearer after the San Diego meeting

 >--Ed

Steve