Re: X.500 clients on Mac and PC

Damanjit S Mahl <Damanjit.Mahl@brunel.ac.uk> Wed, 22 April 1992 09:16 UTC

From: Damanjit S Mahl <Damanjit.Mahl@brunel.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: X.500 clients on Mac and PC
To: rosenthl <rosenthl@com.mcc.cad.cadillac>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1992 10:01:35 -0000
Cc: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk, hardin <hardin@com.mcc.cad.cadillac>, gourley <gourley@com.mcc.cad.cadillac>, cavalli <cavalli@com.mcc.cad.cadillac>
Sender: Damanjit.Mahl@brunel.ac.uk

> Having reviewed RFC 1292, I find that there are some PC-based X.500
> clients out there, but they all appear to require UNIX.  Any non-UNIX
> PC X.500 clients?

 Brunel University is currently developing a DUA for PCs. The current
 development version runs under Windows (base machine is 286 with at
 least 2 megs memory). It is a full blown OSI application, requiring
 WhiteStack (which is an OSI stack running separately as a Windows
 application, developed by Edinburgh University). The following
 items are plaaned for release 1 (summer).

 - Form based searches
 - UFN look ups
 - Address book support
 - DDE communication with a local mailer
 - JPEG photograph support (not fax)

 Support for modify/add/delet/rename will follow later.

 Unfortunately as we are using commercial code during development
 we're unable to give it away outside of the UK academic community,
 though licenses should be inexpensive.

 WhiteStack also requires a license, though how much it costs I don't
 know. WhiteStack currently uses a Pinkbook for transport, though
 TCP transports are to become available for B&W NFS and PC-NFS.

 We will also be producing a lightweight version running in character
 mode which communicates (using any NetBIOS compatible network e.g.
 novell) to a gateway machine which talks full OSI at the other end.

> - Doug

	Cheers, damy