Re: LDAP

pays@faugeres.inria.fr Tue, 01 June 1993 23:46 UTC

Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1993 00:26:43 +0200
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: pays@faugeres.inria.fr
To: pays@faugeres.inria.fr, tim@terminator.rs.itd.umich.edu
Subject: Re: LDAP
cc: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk

> PAP, can you post a more detailed description of your algorithm to
> the list, and explain in more detail why the change is needed?   -- Tim

It's very late here, but let me try in a few words
(il it is unclear please drop a note and questions):

note: it is not my algorithm, if you want to put a name on it, it
could be seen  as the algorithm prposed by E3X for the
DUAs they are proposing with Pizarro. However this has been discussed
through email with plenty of people including in particular
Paul Barker from UCL.

The idea when a directory client has to look-up for an entry from
a set of values provided by the user to start with a read
(or search base-object) of the most "probable" DN that can be
constructed with the provided values.
   either a result is returned => OK look-up is over
   either a name error is returned which indicates
	how many RDN were matched.
	-> this enable to start the search based algorithm from
	this start point (instead of starting from the root
	as in what Steve name the 2nd generation DUA)

In many many cases this will enable to start the search
a few levels lower in the tree thus avoiding either performance
problems or administrative limits.

Let me give you a concrete example

when presented with the following