Re: LDAP

Tim Howes <tim@terminator.rs.itd.umich.edu> Tue, 01 June 1993 22:26 UTC

To: pays@faugeres.inria.fr
Cc: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Subject: Re: LDAP
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1993 17:28:16 -0400
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Tim Howes <tim@terminator.rs.itd.umich.edu>

> From:    pays@faugeres.inria.fr
> To:      tim@terminator.rs.itd.umich.edu

> I don't know the current status, but during the working meeting we had here
> with Tim, it was (in my mind) agreed that
>    1. indeed READ and LIST can be left out
>    2. but, in order to enable next generation client (DUA)
> 	algorithm it was important that the name error returned
> 	by an LDAP operation carried back the information about
> 	the "matched" components of the proposed DN
>
> Tim,
> 	do you remember?

Yes, I remember ;-)  My reply was only meant to address the issues Erik
raised.

> 	do you plan to include this very important (for us) improvment?

I just need to look at exactly what this implies for the LDAP protocol.
The change will be simple, but will effect the error structure in a
pretty basic way.

We should also explain this to the list, since I don't think it's really
been brought up here before in detail.

Last but certainly not least, I haven't discussed this with the other
LDAP authors yet, which is a crucial step, needless to say!

PAP, can you post a more detailed description of your algorithm to
the list, and explain in more detail why the change is needed?   -- Tim