Re: Rep : Re: Rep : overloading cn= in the DIT

Valdis Kletnieks <valdis@black-ice.cc.vt.edu> Fri, 31 July 1992 19:41 UTC

To: Alain Zahm <zahm@osi.e3x.fr>
Cc: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk, osi-ds@cicb.fr
Subject: Re: Rep : Re: Rep : overloading cn= in the DIT
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1992 15:37:23 -0400
From: Valdis Kletnieks <valdis@black-ice.cc.vt.edu>

> > The answer is: shoot all DUA designers who dont hide this from the user.
>
> But we are not speaking about User interfaces, its a naming problem.

Alain:

I disagree with you.  It's a user interface problem.

Remember - it's the user interface that prints out the 'cn=whatever' -
If it weren't for the UA, you'd be typing in ASN.1 in raw hex strings.
(Hmm.. or would we be inputting the ASN.1 from the paddle switches
on the front of the machine? ;)  The fact that the DUA isn't smart
enough to print it out in *useful* form is the DUA's fault.

There was a *lot* of opposition at first to our local naming
scheme, because a few people didn't like the idea that you'd
have to enter "@c=US@o=Virginia Tech@ou=Information Systems@ou=Computing
Center@cn=Valdis Kletnieks" in order to find my phone number.
These complaints ceased when we deployed a DUA that had enough
smarts to internally do a 'search -subtree -filter "surname=klet*'
and format the results in a nice manner.

I don't see how the overloading of cn= is any less a DUA problem.

				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Engineer
				Virginia Tech