Re: Root level prodir combined results

Mark Prior <mrp@itd.adelaide.edu.au> Thu, 20 July 1995 00:25 UTC

To: "Alan Shepherd, NEXOR Ltd, GB" <a.shepherd@nexor.co.uk>
Cc: osi-ds <osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk>, panamas <panamas@nameflow.dante.net>
Subject: Re: Root level prodir combined results
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 1995 05:10:10 +0930
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Mark Prior <mrp@itd.adelaide.edu.au>

     > Is there some (unknown) criteria for a DSA to be listed? Bush Dog used
     > to appear in the list but for the last few months it has gone AWOL
     > from the list even though it is very much alive!

     Hallvard is right.  Only DSAs which are listed as root DSAs now
     appear in the probe results.  This is because I changed the probe
     in an attempt to prevent bit-rot setting in too greatly, but
     unfortunately, lack of funded resource prevents me from keeping
     the probing system up to date.  This means that for the time
     being at least, probe results will continue to only contain
     master DSAs.  This may change in the future if I find time to
     bring the system up to date.

Well I think this is now even more useless than before because it now
doesn't give anyone any feel for the availability of the first level
country/organisational entries. To know that Anaconda is not alive
only tells you that you cannot modify entries directly under
Australia but gives no indication that access to the information is
still possible.

I think that if the information is still being collected, and the
slaves are still being probed, then it should be presented. If this is
not viable then turn off the actual probing and conclude the
"experiment".

If people think this is worthwhile and you don't have time/resources
then maybe someone else would volunteer to do it (assuming that the
software is available to them or we return to the old probing code).

Mark.