Re: LDAP

Tim Howes <tim@terminator.rs.itd.umich.edu> Tue, 08 June 1993 14:40 UTC

To: Edwards Reed <Ed.Reed@cinops.xerox.com>
Cc: Christian.Huitema@sophia.inria.fr, osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Subject: Re: LDAP
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1993 09:34:47 -0400
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Tim Howes <tim@terminator.rs.itd.umich.edu>

> From:    Edwards Reed <Ed.Reed@cinops.xerox.com>
> To:      tim@terminator.rs.itd.umich.edu, Christian.Huitema@sophia.inria.fr

> Should we return a "matched
> name parts" count in complement to the matched attributes? Or an alias
> indication?
>
> I'd vote for a matched count.  Thus, if a name
> 	/c=US/o=Xerox/ou=cin ops/pn=Edwards E Reed
> is partially matched by
> 	/c=US/o=Xerox Corporation/ou=cin ops/pn=Edward E Reed
>
> you would receive an error indicating the match failed (the s is
> significant), and that the matched entries were 3 (o=Xerox and
> o=Xerox Corporation being good candicates for aliases).

It would be useful, but I don't see how we can do it.  The X.500
protocol does not support it.  Unless somebody has some good idea how
to do this?

> And oh yes, there needs to be a provision for connectionless directory
> lookups if you want LDAP to be a serious contender for name services.
> Most directory lookups in the Clearinghouse are connectionless, and that's
> allowed us to take our 950 domains to 6 million+ transactions a day on
> 10 year old hardware.  I saw some discussion along these lines when I
> returned from vacation, and wanted to get my 2 cents in...

That's a fine idea, one we can work on once the current LDAP spec is
out the door.  A separate RFC defining LDAP over UDP would be easy to
produce.                                                      -- Tim