Fwd: ["James (J.K.) K: re: Yet another X.400 vs SMTP question]

"Eric D. Williams" <eric@isci.com> Wed, 26 May 1993 22:02 UTC

Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: "Eric D. Williams" <eric@isci.com>
Subject: Fwd: ["James (J.K.) K: re: Yet another X.400 vs SMTP question]
To: Jock Gill <jgill@nsf.gov>, "James (J.K.) Ko" <jamesko@bnr.ca>
Cc: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk, Tom Dewitt </PN=TOM.DEWITT/O=GSA2/PRMD=GOV+GSA2/ADMD=TELEMAIL/C=US/@sprint.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1993 16:59:50 -0400
Conversion: Prohibited
Conversion-With-Loss: Prohibited
Encoding: 81 TEXT , 4 TEXT

>To: jgill@nsf.gov
>Cc: genovese@ophelia.nersc.gov, osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk
>Subject: re: Yet another X.400 vs SMTP question
>
>Here is my two cents on the religious war since I have been on
>both sides of the fence.
>
>Frankly, both have their advantages and disadvantages. Here are
>the books written for both sides, and you be the judge.
>

>--------------------- CUT HERE      ------------------->
>

>Books related to email:
>
>o  The Internet Message, closing the book with Electronic Mail
>     by Marshall T. Rose, Prentice Hall, 1993. (I just got this).
>
>o  Internetworking with TCP/IP, Vol. I, Principles, Protocols, and
>     Architecture, by Douglas E. Comer, Prentice hall, 1991. 2/E
>
>o  X.400 Message Handling Standards, Interworking, Applications,
>     by B. Plattner, C. Lanz, H. Lubich, M. Muller, T.Watter,
>     Addision-Wesley, 1991.
>
>o  Open Network with OSI, by Adrian Tang, Sophia Sciggins, Prentice
>     Hall, 1992.
>
>o  Standards for Open Systems Interconnection, Keith G.Knigtson,
>     Terry Knowles, John Larmouth, McGraw-Hill, 1988.
>
>o  The Little Black Book, Mail Bonding with OSI Directory Services,
>     Marshall T. Rose, Prentice Hall, 1992.
>
>o  The  Open Book, A Practical Perspective on OSI, by Marshall Rose,
>     Prentice Hall, 1990.
>o  Computer Network, Second Edition, by Andrew Tanenbaum,
>     Prentice Hall, 1988.
>
>o  Open Systems Interconnection Handbook, edited by Gary McClain,
>     McGraw-Hill, 1991.
>

>--
>   James Ko                             | Bell-Northern Research Ltd
>   Member of Scientific Staff           | P. O. Box 3511 Station C
>   Computer and Network Security        | Ottawa, ON
>                                        | Canada  K1Y 4H7
>   Phone:       (613) 763-5364
>   Fax:         (613) 763-2626
>   Internet:    jamesko@BNR.CA
>   X.400:       G=James; S=Ko; P=BNR; A=TELECOM.CANADA; C=CA

James, et. al.

Add one more:

Electronic Mail: An Introduction to the X.400 Message Handling Standards
  by Sara Radicati, McGraw-Hill, 1992

BTW:

Jock,

It seems to me that somewhere in this thread a request was made for a comparison
and not a recommendation.

This clarification (if correct) will benefit my reply to these messages (I
promise not to make it to lengthy :-D ).  Our shop has put in many 100's of man
hours, studying these issue for DoD and EOP, et. al.

As well as other Transition and coexistence issues.

Peace,

Eric Williams

  Eric D. Williams     Integrated Systems and Communications, Inc.        ISC
1899 L Street N.W. Suite 500 - Washington, DC 20036-3884 - Voice +1(202)331-3990
 ewilliams@isci.com or guru@isci.com - Fax +1(202)331-4049 or +1(202)872-0896
  "Implementing, Transitioning, and Coexisting = Integrated Solutions - Now!!"