Re: Using X.500 to determine presentationAddresses

C.B.Stathopoulos@ics.forth.gr Mon, 17 May 1993 11:29 UTC

Date: Mon, 17 May 93 14:19:43 +0300
To: jwkhong@mccarthy.csd.uwo.ca
Subject: Re: Using X.500 to determine presentationAddresses
Cc: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: C.B.Stathopoulos@ics.forth.gr

James,

>   We have been investigating the use of X.500 in the Network, Systems and
>Applications management frameworks for the last couple of years.
>
>For those who are not aware yet, I would like to refer to our paper that was
>presented at the 3rd International Symposium on Integrated Network Management,
>San Fransisco, CA, April 1993, pp. 149-160, which discusses our experience of
>using the X.500 Directory Service in the network management framework.

I got your paper two weeks ago and I have read it. It is really interesting!
But I didn't find a lot of work related to the global naming of the network
elements therein. Ok, I understand that this was not your objective, but
I suppose you have thought about a global naming schema for NEs.
Anyone who deals with such an issue as "Integrating the X.500 in the Network
Management Framework" sooner or later asks for a way to name a NE in the DIT!

Although your prototype Quipu Objects: csdDomain and csdMachine are enough
for your experiment (I have defined my own objects for my prototype, too)
a more standardized schema is needed. Any ideas on such a schema?

Cheers,
Costas.