Re: Comments from C Huitema ...

pays@faugeres.inria.fr Thu, 07 January 1993 13:54 UTC

Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1993 11:53:09 +0100
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: pays@faugeres.inria.fr
To: pays@faugeres.inria.fr, rosenthl@mcc.com
Subject: Re: Comments from C Huitema ...
cc: wg-nap@rare.nl, osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk

> From: Doug Rosenthal <rosenthl@mcc.com>

>    >
>    > The directory users will thus have the choice to search either for
>    > the "official" information with the responsibilty of the operator,
>    > or to select the "open" information such as provided by
>    > the users
>    >
>    > ...
>

> Do users really want to have to decide which one to look at?  Do you
> want them to have to know about the existence of both?  Other
> distributed systems use the concept of authoritative/non-authoritative
> information, but the end users aren't required to make an explicit
> choice.

There are 2 aspects

1. I don't see any feature of X.500 that would enable, according
to the requestor identity, to select automaticaly and transparently
either the authoritative ot the non-authoritative information
  [[that could be an improvement of X.500 to allow for attributes
	to have different tagged values, some being tagged as
	being authoritative and other non-authoritative.
	But this is a different story :-( ]]

2. I think it is useful to have the possibility to explicitely select
which one is needed for a specific application
  . applications (eg. payroll or other) will allways use the authoritative
	subtree. The only one for which some administration/operator
	would bring the responsiblity for the contained information
  . interactive-users may select explicitely what they want
  . the subtree official manager will (as explained in my 1rst posting)
	periodically run an application which would after any desirable
	control update the authoritative subtree using the
	non-authoritative one (at disposal of the end-users for
	modifying their own non-protected data such as fax-number
	email aso)

By now, my only solution is to clearly use different and explicit
RDN for the relative root of the 2 subtrees, so that
   giving a complete DN one or the other would be obtained
   using a search, both could be given back
	BUT with a returned DN showing clearly that
	  . one is the "authoritative" answer
	  . the other is the "non-authoritative" answer

eg.

something like

   <C=FR; O=INRIA; OU=DMI; CN="Paul-Andre PAYS">
and
   <C=FR; O=INRIA; <OU=DMI-Non-Authoritative>; CN="Paul-Andre PAYS">

or better (probabaly) usage of a multi-attribute RDN

such as
	<C=FR; O=INRIA; <OU=DMI; Status=Authoritative>; ....
	<C=FR; O=INRIA; <OU=DMI; Status=Non-Authoritative>; ...

regards,

-- PAP