Re: Root DSA

Colin Robbins <c.robbins@nexor.co.uk> Wed, 02 November 1994 15:00 UTC

Date: Wed, 02 Nov 1994 14:03:44 +0000
X400-Originator: osi-ds-request@cs.ucl.ac.uk
X400-Recipients: non-disclosure:;
X400-MTS-Identifier: [/PRMD=uk.ac/ADMD=gold 400/C=gb/; haig.cs.uc.582:02.10.94.14.03.44]
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Colin Robbins <c.robbins@nexor.co.uk>
To: D.W.Chadwick@iti.salford.ac.uk
Cc: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Root DSA

   >Proposed Transition Plan
   >
   >6. The first phase is to ensure that ALL First Level DSAs are based on
   >implementations (Quipu or otherwise) that can hold subordinate references
   >that are conformant to the standard. Until this is achieved the root DSA
   >will continue to be necessary.

Taking the above, in conjunction with the recent message from PAP, the
implication is the root DSA will be necessary until all the majority
of first level DSAs running QUIPU have been modified to correctly
handle subordinate references, and tested in some way (e.g.,
re-running the OIFP tests).

This is a big first step, and we will probably find these DSAs are
running 1993 protocol systems before this happens.

I think we need to look at something more practical in the interim.
Effectively, the only thing the root DSA does for the current QUIPU
DSAs is distribute the top level EDB file.  Alternative mechanisms can
be found to do this, e.g., FTP on demand, or some simple push on
change mechanims.

The exisiting QUIPU DSAs could then be configured (incorrectly) to say
they hold this EDB as MASTER, and the project continue perfrectly
happy without the root DSA.

This would acheive the goal to removing the root DSA, without imposing
some of the other requirements (requirements that are needed in the
longer term).

This would also help the existing QUIPU DSAs to migrate, as this
pseduo root EDB, could then have correct knowldege references to the
1993 systems.

Colin