Re: people CN

Andrew Findlay <Andrew.Findlay@brunel.ac.uk> Fri, 27 November 1992 10:59 UTC

Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Andrew Findlay <Andrew.Findlay@brunel.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: people CN
To: Thomas Lenggenhager <lenggenhager@gate.switch.ch>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1992 09:55:35 +0000
Cc: Andrew.Findlay@brunel.ac.uk, osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk, wg-nap@rare.nl

>> name clash does not seem good enough, so I would expect to see the
>> first `Andrew Smith' keeping his DN, with the second one getting
>> something like `cn=Andrew Smith%desc=Undergraduate 1991 entry'.
>
>Here I have a problem to follow your ideas. You strees that a DN should
>be changed only for very good reasons (I agree with that). But then you
>propose to use the description to form the RDN. That way you will never
>be able to change that value of the attribute.

True. Perhaps we should use Social Security numbers instead :-) (Not a
very serious suggestion, as this might be considered as
`personal/private' information and thus not acceptable under data
protection law)

>A description in my view is something that should be changed to reflect
>the current situation. I don't think that the description attribute was
>ever intended to be fixed once it is set.

I would agree with this as well. However, `description' can be
multi-valued just like almost any other attribute, so the value used
in the RDN could be chosen such that it need not change even though
another value might change frequently. Still not ideal, but something
like `cn=Andrew Smith%desc=From Lower Tadfield' would meet the
requirement, as the fact that he came from there is history and thus
unchanging...

Andrew

|      From Andrew Findlay at Brunel University, Uxbridge, UB8 3PH, UK     |
| Andrew.Findlay@brunel.ac.uk       +44 895 203066 or +44 895 274000 x2512 |