re: Yet another X.400 vs SMTP question

Tony Genovese <genovese@ophelia.nersc.gov> Thu, 27 May 1993 17:46 UTC

Date: Thu, 27 May 1993 09:49:17 -0700
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Tony Genovese <genovese@ophelia.nersc.gov>
To: jgill@nsf.gov
Subject: re: Yet another X.400 vs SMTP question
Cc: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk

Hi Jock,

> The technology issue is important but not the only one.  Is there no
> integrating technology to render this issue moot?

	If I understand your question the simple answer is yes.  As I
mentioned befor ESnet is an Internet mail shop. Most, if not all my users
do not know they are using X.400 or for that mater many do not know they
are useing SMTP ;-).  Our users use, Quickmail, SMTP, Eudora, etc.  Our main
mail hubs handle the conversions (gatewaying) between the different mail
systems.  They think they are using Electronic Mail period.  The Postmaster
team of ESnet handles all the magic behind the scenes.

	The technology that accomplished this is being shaped by the
efforts of IETF, RARE and others.  Jock maybe you can attend one of these
meetings and get a feel for the scope of what we are working on.

> I am very much interested in the social and political implications of
> architectural technology choices with respect to sustaining a robust
> democracy.

	I believe Erik Huizer summed up the best course. We should at best
do damage control to restrict the WAN mail systems to just two, SMTP and
X.400.

Tony...