Re: standard ShadowingAgreement

D.W.Chadwick@iti.salford.ac.uk Wed, 04 October 1995 19:23 UTC

Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: D.W.Chadwick@iti.salford.ac.uk
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 1995 16:19:00 -0000
To: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Subject: Re: standard ShadowingAgreement

From: Michael Gsandtner <gsa@adv.magwien.gv.at>
Subject: standard ShadowingAgreement
To: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk (OSIDS )
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 1995 13:31:18 +0100 (MET)

How is a Shadow Agreement between two DSAs established ?
----------
The answer is twofold, either:
by proprietary off line means (eg operator intervention, probably the case with
the digital DSA)
or by use of the DOP. Most manufacturers are slow in implementing this
protocol, although I know that Digital have started.

P.S. Read my book about this, it is explained in there.

David

We are running DSAs from DIGITAL. But they are only able to shadow information
between DIGITAL DSAs, because they use a non standard ShadowingAgreement
ObjectClass to store the Agreement information in the directory (however, to
transfer data DISP is used).

Exists there a standard ShadowAgreement ?
---------
Not as yet. The ASN.1 exists for it, but it has not been defined as an
attribute type. This would be a simple task to do, but the standard's committee
could not decide on where to store it in the DIT.

David

Or can Shadowing only take place between DSAs of the same vendor ?
   (which I hope has to be answered with no)
Certainly not, but each vendor will determine how to configure the agreement
into his/her DSA.
David

--Michi