Re: scenarios for Directory Synchronization

"Praveen Gupta, x2106" <PGUPTA@hss.hns.com> Wed, 14 June 1995 00:06 UTC

Date: Tue, 13 Jun 1995 13:15:58 +0000
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: "Praveen Gupta, x2106" <PGUPTA@hss.hns.com>
To: bjjenni@somnet.sandia.gov
CC: osi-ds-request@cs.ucl.ac.uk, PGUPTA@hss.hns.com
Subject: Re: scenarios for Directory Synchronization

Hi Barbara,

>   I agree with your evaluation of Scenario-1.  Scenario-2 however,
> I offer caution.  We had to make this 'corporate' data, i.e. owned
> and managed by corporate, due to the descrepencies between LANs.
> Prior to heterogeneously operative e-mail in out corporation,
> many users had more than one e-mail address.  Defining a 'preferred
> address' was very time consuming.  LAN managers, were of little or
> no help because they couldn't help us identify the users preference.

This is where Directory Synchronisation will help. I recommend that
users SHOULD continue to use native addressing. Besides, each user
has a global e-mail address to which this native address will map.
Now, directory synchronisation will help maintaining this mapping
as one-to-one between global address and the native address.

> In some cases the users themselves were unsure of a preferred address
> because this was so well hidden via menus, auto logins, etc.  Eventually
> is meant contacting those users with one or more account, creating a
> group to provide support and maintenance of the e-mail addresses,
> and a work around to allow users more than one e-mail address.

Obviously, if a user has more that one e-mail accounts then he/she will
be represented twice in the global directory. Of course, Directory
synchronisation will have functionality of NOT TO Synchronise a
specific LAN mail account. In this way, lan mail user who is not synchronised
will not be accessable globally.

>  Don't under estimate the problems associated with directory
> sunchronization or unique e-mail addresses.

Thanks and regards,

Praveen