Re: DNS under o=Internet

William Manning <bmanning@is.rice.edu> Wed, 05 February 1992 16:03 UTC

From: William Manning <bmanning@is.rice.edu>
Subject: Re: DNS under o=Internet
To: Christian Huitema <Christian.Huitema@sophia.inria.fr>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 1992 09:10:14 -0600
Cc: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk

Christian Huitema

> My own $0.02:
>
> We have agreed to place the DNS is under "O=Internet". As such ".eu.net" and
> its kindreds have already a place. What they name under that should be
> strictly equivalent to what they place in the DNS; what they "list" being
> another issue...
>
> Regarding registration: what about considering that the master of
> "O=Internet" is IANA for the moment, and will be ISOC as soon as it
> establishes the necessary procedures?
>
> Christian Huitema

It seems that my postings to this list get lost, but...

I agree with the "O=Internet" approach, but I would like to raise what may be
a couple of issues.

	1. Internet(tm) is in fact a registered trademark in the US, at least
	   according to recent postings in the com-priv list. They might
	   object.

	2. Has anyone consulted the DCA (owners of the DNS root and first
	   level zones) to see if they have any objections. Have they agreed
           to turn this function over to ISOC?

I see the structure like so:

O=Internet/ou=.
O=Internet/ou=./ou=net