Re: Using X.500 to determine presentationAddresses

"James W. Hong" <jwkhong@csd.uwo.ca> Sun, 16 May 1993 20:46 UTC

Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: "James W. Hong" <jwkhong@csd.uwo.ca>
Subject: Re: Using X.500 to determine presentationAddresses
To: C.B.Stathopoulos@ics.forth.gr
Date: Sun, 16 May 1993 15:32:19 -0400
Cc: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk, yee@atlas.arc.nasa.gov

> Peter et al,
>
> My apologies for such a late reply.
>
> The open issue I see here is the naming of the machines.
> During the last month I have spent many hours thinking of an
> architecture for a location transparency mechanism that
> will be using the X.500 to retrieve presentationAddresses
> of management agents in a management platform.
>
> Roughly speaking I want to be able to identify the
> presentationAddress of a management agent (e.g. SNMP
> agent) that contains management information for some
> network element. (By the term "network element" I mean
> equipment attached to the network (e.g. a router,
> a gateway, a workstation) ).
> Clearly, what I need first is a global, unique and stable
> naming schema for registering network elements in the DIT.
>
> Bearing in mind the "Charting Networks in the Directory"
> (OSI-DS-37) draft document I thought that maybe a refinement
> of the mechenism described there could be used for globally
> naming network elements within the Directory.
> Of course the above naming schema results in machine names
> that are far away from user-friendly.
>
> As Steve writes:
> >The decisions on naming machines should be primarily dictated by
> > 1) Reasonable names for the machines
> > 2) A naming structure which permits effective allocation.
> >I would expect that some key services would be named at the ARC level,
> >and the majority of machines at the departmental or project level
> >(i.e., org units within ARC).
>
> I agree with these two points.
> But for 2) I was expecting something related to the OSI-DS-37 idea.
> What about the "nodes" mentioned there? Are we going to have finally
> two places for registering machines (one under the OU level
> and the other under the network level)? Don't you think that all kinds
> of information about a machine must be gathered in one place?
>
> Although the more "natural" name for a machine under my organizational
> unit is e.g. host, csi, forth, gr  I would expect a seperate subtree for
> the machines within an organization. Although I could have 1,000 people
> entries mixed with 1,000 machine entries under the same organizational
> unit subtree a more efficient design is needed (that is going to be
> transparent to the user, of course).
>
> I think that a "network" subtree under the organizationalUnit level
> could be used for registering network elements. This provides also
> a uniform view for a machine (= a part of the local network).
> With a search operation under the "network" subtree a DUA could find
> information about a machine under the OU=ICS,O=FORTH,C=GR when the
> given friendly name is host, ics, forth, gr.
>
> I am looking forward to seeing opinions on the above.
>
> Regards,
> Costas.

We have been investigating the use of X.500 in the Network, Systems and
Applications management frameworks for the last couple of years.

For those who are not aware yet, I would like to refer to our paper that was
presented at the 3rd International Symposium on Integrated Network Management,
San Fransisco, CA, April 1993, pp. 149-160, which discusses our experience of
using the X.500 Directory Service in the network management framework.

I can make the paper available on our ftp server if people are interested.
Let me know please.

Cheers!

James W. Hong
Research Associate / Adjunct Professor
Dept. of Computer Science      	             	jwkhong@csd.uwo.ca
Middlesex College
Univ. of Western Ontario			Tel: (519) 679-2111 x6906
London, Ontario, N6A-5B7 CANADA    		Fax: (519) 661-3515