Re: UK Academic Community Code of Conduct

Einar Stefferud <Stef@nma.com> Sat, 25 January 1992 22:30 UTC

To: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Subject: Re: UK Academic Community Code of Conduct
From: Einar Stefferud <Stef@nma.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1992 11:14:40 -0800
Sender: stef@nma.com

Hello Christian -- You said;

> The more I see it, the more I believe that the directory pilots are
> just that: pilots aimed at gaining experience in a field we ignore. We
> should not pretend to standardize access control or naming practices,
> but rather experiment...

I must agree!  In the recent NADF meeting we got into some discussions
that touch on the question of what is the relationship between the
NADF pilot and other pilots, and drifted into wondering what will be
the relationship between existing pilots and real Public Directory
Service, if and when it materializes.

It was not an easy discussion and we did not resolve much, except to
(more or less) note that the NADF pilot and the White Pages Pilot
(including the Internet Pilot) will need to be kept separate without
any interworking, at least in the beginning.

To some extent this is due to naming scheme differences between the
two piloting communities.

So, it does look like we are indeed just experimenting in different
ways, and are not really beginning to set up the real directory future
of the world.

Of course, we need to be "pretending to be setting up the future" in
order to run realistic pilots, but we should not forget that we are
only pretending.  We must keep in mind that the "Pretender to the
Throne" is not yet the Queen".

Cheers...\Stef