Re: X.500 as document repository

Steve Hardcastle-Kille <S.Kille@cs.ucl.ac.uk> Wed, 26 February 1992 16:47 UTC

To: lazear@gateway.mitre.org
cc: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk, mcguthry@gateway.mitre.org
Subject: Re: X.500 as document repository
Phone: +44-71-380-7294
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1992 13:25:32 +0000
From: Steve Hardcastle-Kille <S.Kille@cs.ucl.ac.uk>

Technically, I am not sure that storing documents in the directory is wrong.
In terms of information modelling, to have the storage of documents aligned
is very attractive.

There are some difficulties with use of the current X.500 protocols.  ROS is
effectively an RPC implementation, and many implmentations do just that.
For large parameters, this becomes a real problem.  Whilst in principle an
implementation could "stream" a ROS parameter (e.g., a very large
attribute), this is not modelled and is awkward to code because of the way
the protocol is specified.

It was for this reason that the Internet DSP was modified from the original
QUIPU protocol, to use lots of smaller operations rather than one big one.

In conclusion, I suggest that storing documents in the DIT may well be
sensible, but using X.500 to access them is not.

Steve