scenarios for Directory Synchronization

PGUPTA@hss.hns.com Mon, 12 June 1995 12:45 UTC

Date: Mon, 12 Jun 1995 14:47:00 +0000
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: PGUPTA@hss.hns.com
To: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk
CC: PGUPTA@hss.hns.com
Subject: scenarios for Directory Synchronization

Hi,

I have beed reading the discussion on Directory Synchronisation with
lot of interest. Here, I would like to share some of my views.
I feel that we have been mixing up two scenarios (as defined below).
We need to first understand the scenario which we are talking about????

SCENARIO-1 : Use of a corporate Directory service
----------

Here, X.500 directory service is used as part of Global and corporate
directory service. Corporate Directory Service is used for lot of
corporate requirements, such as:

	* Personnel profiling of an employee
	* For lookup of Telephone number, Fax Number, E-mail address,
	  common name, description etc. etc.
	* For storing sensitive "secure" information such as
	   private and public encryption keys etc.

	* To offer white page and yellow page service for employees and
	  corporate network
	* to provide Whois services etc.

In fact, in this case, Directory is a very important corporate resource
and one needs to build process and procedures to maintain it very carefully.

In this case, DNs are to be defined at the time of person joining the
organisation. DNs have to be a kind of an identity (like employee number)
of the person. Several mechanism, including directory synchronisation,
are required to be developed to maintain "Corporate directory". Clearly,
this will require a very strong commitment and awareness at the
organisational level. Also, a very simple and easy-to-use browsing
mechanisms will be required to support such a directory.

SCENARIO-2 : Using X.500 for e-mail address resolution in Global and
----------    distributed manner

This scenario is, clearly, a subset of "scenario-1". However, this
requires low commitment at organisational and corporate level.

Here, X.500 directory DNs CAN BE generated as a "rule based approach"
from LAN / legacy Email accounts. This can become part of Directory
synchronisation mechanism. In this case, X.500 directory is used
by Email Gateways to resolve LAN / Legacy e-mail addresses to X.400
or-address OR DN and vice versa. Also, X.500 directory will be used
by X.400 (1988) MTA and (optionally) by UA for Mail routing etc.

In this case, X.500 directory is can only be used
as white page or yellow page service for the end-user Email accounts.
However, it will not be integrated with address lookup functionality
of LAN / Legacy E-mail systems.

I believe that the choice of a scenario will be a strategic decision
for the organisation and NOT ANY TECHNICAL ISSUE. Certainly, a
confidence in X.500 technology (and product chosen) is a critical
factor in making this strtegic decision.

In fact some discussion can be done in the direction of MERITS of
each of them.

In my view, Scenario-1 is a long term view of "Directory service"
and Scenario-2 is a short term view of the X.500 Directory.

Thanks and regards,

Praveen Gupta