RE: SOS & LDBP

"Michael A. Petonic" <petonic@hal.com> Tue, 17 March 1992 17:39 UTC

Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1992 08:46:31 -0600
From: "Michael A. Petonic" <petonic@hal.com>
Sender: petonic@hal.com
To: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Subject: RE: SOS & LDBP

This is a resend.  Thanks to the wonderful headers present in the previous
message, I'm not quite confident that my previous send of this message
worked.  Ya gotta love that header-munging...

On March 17, 1992 (02:35:20), Dan Shia duly wrote:

>>In contrast, the primary thrust of SOS is the definition of an
>>integrated ROS/ACSE/presentation/session stack that will offer
>>OSI-like services to application protocols. Although three of the
>
>We see two major technical problems with OSI:
>
>1) the complexity of the technology (ASN.1, ACSE, Presentation layer)
>  discourages the development of OSI applications.
>
>2) Although ULCC's X window on OSI implementation is extremely fast,
> there is no efficient implementation of OSI
> supporting general distributed computing comparable to TCP/IP based RPCs.

I've seen all of these messages dealing with ACSE and the presentation
layer.  Are people taking into account the APLI (ACSE/Presentation Layer
Interface) put out by Unix International?

It would be yet another mistake if similar functionality were offered
with differing APIs.  Not that I'm necessarily advocating APLI, but
it *is* an API.

-pet-
--
Michael A. Petonic	       petonic@hal.com		       +1-512-794-2855
    HaL Computer Systems - Director of Custodial Services and Entertainment