Rep (2) : Problem with oid root used in RFC 1274

Ascan Woermann <Woermann@osi.e3x.fr> Fri, 11 June 1993 13:21 UTC

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1993 13:22:30 +0100
X400-Originator: osi-ds-request@cs.ucl.ac.uk
X400-Recipients: non-disclosure:;
X400-MTS-Identifier: [/PRMD=uk.ac/ADMD=gold 400/C=gb/; haig.cs.uc.469:11.05.93.12.22.30]
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Ascan Woermann <Woermann@osi.e3x.fr>
To: Colin Robbins <c.robbins@nexor.co.uk>, osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk, P.Furniss@ulcc.ac.uk
Subject: Rep (2) : Problem with oid root used in RFC 1274

>    >There would obviously be some difficulty with a change-over to
>    >synonymous valid oids. It will be extremely difficult unless Directory
>    >implementations can handle synonyms - but I believe many can.

I wouldn't bet on it.

> FYI, The paper OSI-DS 36 describes a general alias mechanism that can
> be used to alias  OIDS with exactly this form of transition in mind.
>
> Colin

I still haven't read this paper, but the current practise, as I've said
previously, is unacceptable in my opinion. A DUA or DSA requesting an
attribute by a given OID, should obtain it tagged with this OID. This should
be possible. Currently you require all implementations - even newcomers -
to support the alias mechanism and, thus, know about the old OIDs. In practise,
a good moment after publication of RFC1274, we're effectively still running
with old quipu-assigned OIDs for some attributes.

Ascan
TS-E3X