Re: LDAP

Mark Prior <mrp@itd.adelaide.edu.au> Thu, 03 June 1993 00:22 UTC

To: Julian Onions <j.onions@nexor.co.uk>
Cc: pays@faugeres.inria.fr, osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk, tim@terminator.rs.itd.umich.edu
Subject: Re: LDAP
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1993 08:54:58 +0930
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Mark Prior <mrp@itd.adelaide.edu.au>

     > 1. LDAP will not only be used for UFN queries, there will be plenty
     >  of other usage (eg what Tim has done with mail500
     >  and plenty of gateways)
     >  -> thus LDAP should not be designed with only UFN in mind
     True. But in these applications, they are likely to use DN's direct
     anyway rather than searches to resolve them.

I beg to differ on this point. My bulk loader (and no it's not ready
yet :-) uses reads on the psuedo dn it is given and if that doesn't
match it starts clipping the first component off and doing reads and
then searches. This would certainly benefit from having ldapd telling
it what part of that initial dn is actually real.

     > 2. Even with UFN like interfaces, nothing prevents the X.500 client
     >  to be a little less dumb and for example
     >  be able to replace in the read England by GB or france by FR
     >  and even more to record after a first query the exact RDN
     >  for Nexor organisation.
     In that case you are slowly importing the whole X.500 DIT into the
     application! If it knows that UK and GB are equivalent, and Nexor &
     Nexor Ltd are too, very soon you won't need a DSA at all.

I think it is not unreasonable for a dua to know that UK should be
transformed into GB (since the top level DNS name for GB is UK). Also
knowing the local natural language translations of the two letter
country codes isn't too far over the top.

Mark.