Re: XDS based experience.......

Larry Campbell <bsw.com!campbell@redsox.bsw.com> Fri, 19 May 1995 18:10 UTC

Date: Fri, 19 May 1995 10:02:23 -0400
To: Andrew Waugh <harvard!mel.dit.csiro.au!A.Waugh@ursa-major.spdcc.com>, "P.G. Tsigaridas" <tsigaridas@fokus.gmd.de>
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Larry Campbell <bsw.com!campbell@redsox.bsw.com>
Subject: Re: XDS based experience.......
Cc: panamas@paradise.ulcc.ac.uk, osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk, rosenqui@esltd.com, ajw@mel.dit.csiro.au

At 10:03 AM 5/19/95, Andrew Waugh
<harvard!mel.dit.csiro.au!A.Waugh@ursa-major.spdcc wrote:
>Panos,
>
>> i am currently working in a project, which objectives are:
>>
>> a) case studies describing a DUA or DUA API written on top
>>    of XDS being ported amongst several XDS implementations
>>    (currently ISODE & HP Open View).
>
>I've not seen any work which tested the actual portability of XDS
>applications. (Or, for that matter, the portability of applications
>which used the related X.400 and X.700 APIs.) If anyone is aware of
>any I'd like to know.

We have written an access unit that interfaces to many different X.400 MTAs
using the X/Open MT interface.  The access unit is used to connect to our
InterOFFICE product, which is basically a message bus into which access
units for several different email systems may be plugged, to build a large
number of different gateways.

The X.400 MTAs we have successfully interfaced with using the X/Open API
include ISOPRO from ISOCOR, Messenger 400 from Infonet Software Solutions
(formerly Osiware), OSI/6000 from IBM, SunLink X.400 from Sun, and OSI/MHS
from Tandem (the only non-UNIX one, and also not really X/Open but
"X/Open-like"). We're also in the process now of integrating with the ISODE
implementation and with HP's X.400 product. Although each vendor's
implementation had its own peculiarities (bugs), we have actually been
fairly pleasantly surprised at how little conditional code we've had to
write and at how smoothly the ports have gone after the initial
implementation was debugged.  (Well, maybe it's easy to pleasantly surprise
a cynic.)  Yes, we've had to work around some bugs, but ultimately we've
gotten all of these interfaces to work pretty well.