Re: DNS under o=Internet

Steve Hardcastle-Kille <S.Kille@cs.ucl.ac.uk> Tue, 04 February 1992 11:02 UTC

To: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Subject: Re: DNS under o=Internet
Phone: +44-71-380-7294
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1992 08:52:35 +0000
From: Steve Hardcastle-Kille <S.Kille@cs.ucl.ac.uk>

Wengyik,

There has been a document on the tabnle for (.... long time) that has had
the DNS tree under the root.    This issue was pointed out explicitly as
an issue by Alan Young.   I retained the location as is, because I did not
hear much support for this view and so retained the status quo.

First, this position needs to be concensus.   "Does anyone ohject if I..."
is not the right approach.   I STRONGLY object to the decision approach.
Let me note the possible positions, with arguments for them.

1) At the root.   This was proposed, as it has a certain elegance.   The
scheme is global, and so hanging it off the root makes sense.   However there
is no registration authority for this.

2) Move to a location with registration.    This means picking a country, and
registering a suitable point within this country, and then using this as
the starting point.  This has the big advantage of being acceptable to
general registration authorities.

3) Picking a subtree off the root.    This seems to lack the elegance of 1),
without gaining the authority of 2).   I think that it is getting the worst
of both worlds.   If you do this, I think that a sinlge arc should be defined,
which leads to only Domain Names (e.g., CN=Domains).   This could be
a second level under O=Internet.   I'd argue against this, as a) two levels
is too much and b) some bits of the 822 world are going to object to this
being under O=Internet.   I'd suggest having a single arc of the root.

My recommendation.   Go for 1), and leave RFC 1279 and OSI-DS 12
alone!   We should definitely do this until an agreement is reached.

Lets discuss this in San Diego

Steve