Re: Using X.500 to determine presentationAddresses

C.B.Stathopoulos@ics.forth.gr Wed, 19 May 1993 23:21 UTC

Date: Thu, 20 May 1993 01:33:09 +0300
To: jwkhong@csd.uwo.ca
Subject: Re: Using X.500 to determine presentationAddresses
Cc: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: C.B.Stathopoulos@ics.forth.gr

>Is there anything wrong with global machine names (for the purpose of storing
>them in the Directory) such as
>	{Country=ca, O=UWO, OU=CSD, Domain=Syslab, Machine=rubble} ?

No, you didn't do anything wrong! But as long as there is no standard
way for registering machines in the Directory I could use other schemas
e.g. country=gr, o=FORTH, OU=ICS, machine=danae or
country=gr, o=FORTH, OU=ICS, network=ICSnet, subnet=BuildingA, machine=danae

Given these different schemas how could anyone implement a DUA that is
given as input UFNs for machines and return their entries?

>Am I missing something?

I just want to say that we need a well-defined subtree under every O or OU
level for registering machines so that anyone that writes a DUA that searches
for machine: rubble, csd, uwo, ca (this is a UFN for rubble, right?) will know
where to search. (This is because the end-user is not aware of domains or
networks.)

Regards,
Costas.