Rep : overloading cn= in the DIT

Alain Zahm <zahm@osi.e3x.fr> Fri, 31 July 1992 09:58 UTC

Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1992 13:07:35 +0100
X400-Originator: zahm@osi.e3x.fr
X400-Recipients: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk
X400-MTS-Identifier: [/PRMD=e3x/ADMD=atlas/C=FR/;7113748553403zahm]
X400-Content-Type: P2-1984 (2)
From: Alain Zahm <zahm@osi.e3x.fr>
To: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk, osi-ds@cicb.fr
Cc: Non Receipt Notification Requested <G.Michaelson@cc.uq.oz.au>
Subject: Rep : overloading cn= in the DIT
Sender: zahm@osi.e3x.fr

> I'm doing alpha work for somebody on X.500 based
> routing for X.400 -Neccessitates making suitable
> data be present in the directory.
>
> cn=AnimalName was nice for a pilot, but is a major
> bummer in the context of a real-world global tree.
> cn=MhsMtaName is just as crocked.
>
> People, ordinary people, have no idea that the global
> namespace means that an object called cn=George could
> be any of:
>
>    a DSA
>    a person
>    an MTA
>    an arbitrary object co=erced into cn= form
>
> I think this is a chronically bad way to name objects
> in the global DIT. cn= should be reserved for one, and
> only one kind of naming instance, and more appropriate
> nameforms should be used to identify and RDN/DN instantiate
> things of a different context.
>
> now I've finished my diatribe, somebody shoot me down in flames.
> Please do not include any statement of the form:
>
>    but its specified in the standards...
> \
>
> -George

The wish is good, the solution seems inadequate.

   Of course its necessary to have a name "easy to deduce", the problem
then is not located on the attribute side but on the value side. Even if
you define an attribute dsa, how can I deduce the associated value ?
The search operation won't be facilitate.
   On the other hand if we choose to impose the use of the cn attribute
which value must be of the form "xxx-dsa" you will solve the problem
without creating an attribute duplicating the class information for each
kind of object.

Alain Zahm