Re: X.500, Naming and the Internet

yeongw@spartacus.psi.com Wed, 05 February 1992 02:33 UTC

To: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk, wpp-camayocs@nisc.psi.net
Subject: Re: X.500, Naming and the Internet
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1992 20:37:09 -0500
From: yeongw@spartacus.psi.com

> > - the placing of all Internet-centric information under
> > o=Internet. This would definitely include the DNS,
> > and may possibly include the quipu DSAs (there are a
> > few other considerations there).
>
> The DNS make sense to me, but quipu is not tied to the internet.
> Why would quipu DSAs be named under o=Internet (unless they were
> part of the internet pilot, maybe)?

Sorry, that's what I meant. The DSAs of the Internet pilot that are
quipu based.

Unfortunately moving the DSAs are not so easy, because the system
itself depends on access to the information. We need to talk about
this sometime.

In my opinion, eventually the Internet will need both a listing point
for "public" Internet-centric information (information about the Internet
that is derived from outside the Directory), and a registration
point for a "registration" subtree containing information for which
the Directory has to be the ultimate source of authority, such
as DSA entries (in general DMD information, though there may be other
types of information that needs to be registered).

But one problem at a time ... :-) :-)

Wengyik