Re: DNS under o=Internet

Christian Huitema <Christian.Huitema@sophia.inria.fr> Thu, 06 February 1992 16:09 UTC

To: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Cc: isoc@NRI.Reston.VA.US
Subject: Re: DNS under o=Internet
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1992 16:30:38 +0000
From: Christian Huitema <Christian.Huitema@sophia.inria.fr>

Stef,

>Just to make sure no one misunderstands, someone other than "The
>Internet" has registered "Internet" as a trademark, so there is no way
>to register { c=us o=internet } and have it meanj "Our Beloved Internet".
>
>You might do better to try for { c=US O=Internet-IANA }

Some people also have registered "The Internet Society", these people being
Juergen Harms (Rare), Robert E. Kahn (CNRI) and Kenneth M. King (Educom). It
seems to me that the Internet Society is perfectly entitled to go to whoever
holds the ISO registry for International Organisations (BSI I believe), and
ask to be registered there (certainly not under "C=US"). What the registered
name will be may depend on the ISO rules, and we may have at some stage to
replace the top level "O=Internet" by "O=ISoc" or "O=The Internet Society".
But we can assume that such a place will exist.

By the way, why dont we start a mail campaign to convince the presidency of
ISOC that we need this registration?

Christian Huitema (I.Soc member #1314513 -- we must be very many!).