Re: DNS under o=Internet

yeongw@spartacus.psi.com Thu, 06 February 1992 01:46 UTC

To: Christian Huitema <Christian.Huitema@sophia.inria.fr>
Subject: Re: DNS under o=Internet
Cc: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 1992 19:17:53 -0500
From: yeongw@spartacus.psi.com

> We have agreed to place the DNS is under "O=Internet". As such ".eu.net" and
> its kindreds have already a place.

Right. eu.net and so on have a place.

> What they name under that should be
> strictly equivalent to what they place in the DNS; what they "list" being
> another issue...

I read into this an intention to stuff non-domain things under eu.net
(for example). If you choose to do so in the form of listings, that is
your privilege. However let me point out that unless this is commonly
accepted practice in the user community, nobody will ever find
the non-domain things you put under eu.net (because they'll never look
there).

[Can you tell I don't agree with you, Christian? :-) Not that it really
 matters, as long as you can convince the Directory operator providing
 access to eu.net to let you list there :-)]

> Regarding registration: what about considering that the master of
> "O=Internet" is IANA for the moment, and will be ISOC as soon as it
> establishes the necessary procedures?

The IANA (or successor-to-IANA) was what I had in mind too.
However keep in mind that authorities can delegate: to my mind,
the IANA has effectively delegated registration authority for the
existing top-level domains to the DCA, since it is the DDN NIC
(presumably acting as an agent of the DCA) that actually does
domain assignments under the top-level domains.

Wengyik